Lyon, G.
E., and L. Avril. The pirate of kindergarten. New York: Atheneum/Richard
Jackson Books, 2011. Print.
Genre - Fiction - Realistic Fiction
Ginny
sees everything in double-vision and thinks that is normal until her vision
screening. Her doctor prescribes glasses, exercises, and a patch! Ginny becomes
the Kindergarten Pirate who can see things correctly!
This
book should be shared, in whole group, at the beginning of school to discuss
acceptance of people’s differences and compassion for others.
Immediately,
I thought my class would enjoy this book because pirates are so popular right
now. Once I read the book, I thought my students would still enjoy the book
because the illustrations are colorful and Ginny is a typical student who is easy to relate to.
After
reading this with my class, I would try to supply pirate patches for my class.
How does the patch affect your sight? How would you function if your vision was
obscured? We would continue the lesson with a discussion about disabilities.
Seeger,
P., & Jacobs, P. (2006). The deaf musicians. New York: G.P. Putnam's
Sons.
Genre - Fiction - Realistic Fiction
Lee
plays with a jazz band every night until he loses his hearing. After he learns
sign language, he gradually creates a new kind of band, made entirely of deaf
musicians.
The
musical and rhythmic language in this book is engaging and interesting.
Keeping
the lyrical language in mind, I would be sure to use this during story
time.
Because
this book uses so much onomatopoeia, I would reinforce this by having students
brainstorm other onomatopoeia phrases for inanimate objects.
Parker,
R. (2008). Piano starts here: the young art tatum. Random House, Inc.
Genre - Non-Fiction - Biography
Art
Tatum, who was born with limited vision that continued to worsen, became a
famous piano player despite his vision difficulties.
Parker
uses vivid language to describe Tatum’s environment. His descriptive language
adds to the visualization of Tatum’s world and experiences.
I would
use this book with older students during a large group lesson about
visualization. I would first read several pages to my students who cannot see
the illustrations. Then, I would ask them to sketch out the scene/experience
described in the book. When completed, we would compare the students’
sketchbooks to the actual book illustrations.

No comments:
Post a Comment